Georgia defensive end becomes IU’s 10th commitment for 2014

As first reported by Matt Weaver of Peegs.com, defensive end Jermane Conyers of Ridgeland High School in Rossville, Ga. has committed to Indiana, becoming the 10th member of IU’s Class of 2014.

UPDATE, 9:40 p.m.: Conyers confirmed his commitment, saying that Indiana was the first to offer him in May and that he started leaning heavily toward them after he visited in June.

“I really felt like when I was up there for a visit, I felt like, overall, it was the place I should be,” Conyers said. “… I really liked the campus and everything, how they handle academics and stuff like that, and the players made me feel like I was a part of them, even when I wasn’t a part of them.”

Conyers said even though he plays inside and outside on the defensive line in high school — his team uses a 3-5 front — he will more likely be used as a tackle at Indiana.

“They really need athletic defensive linemen,” Conyers said. “They told me they could really use my speed to make plays on the defensive line.”

• Hoosier Clarion #1

Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 9:37 AM EDT

…6’3″-290, HS listed time-4.7 40…Coach Fabris is hitting pay dirt in Georgia…

• Mariner Tom #2

Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 10:15 AM EDT

Clarion- as recently as 2010 Georgia was rated the #1 state for high school football, a surprise candidate that beat out Texas, Florida and California. Impressive to be tapping into that stream.

• t #3

Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 10:54 AM EDT

Sounds like nice 2 star recruit…. 4 stars needed for 2014 class to continue progress for long term.

• coachv #4

Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 2:25 PM EDT

Did I finally run you out Geoff?

• wolfer #5

Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 2:42 PM EDT

Not too concerned about 2 stars going into his senior year of high school. I think the thing is to look at athleticism and body type and if the kid can help IU out in other areas. Get that speed in at tackle, maybe nose tackle, and look out is what i think.
    Go Hoosiers!!

• TsaoTsuG #6

Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 3:02 PM EDT

coachv- no, you didn’t. Geoff is off on vacation in Maine and will be back shortly. That will be good.

You can now go back to your 4th grade ‘shorty’ conference basketball summer league. (Remember coachv to teach them they can not bouncy-bouncy the ball, pick it up and run to mommy!).

• Elvis Price-ly #7

Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 11:31 PM EDT

I love how Tsao is now the self-appointed bully of this blog. (Here he is engaged in a typically profound conversation with Podunker Tom and Mariner.) Meanwhile congratulations Jeremy and Dustin for the new billboard. Your work doesn’t go unnoticed and that’s about all I can say about that at this time.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #8

Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 11:59 PM EDT

^Both shots are hilarious! Clever as hell and damn funny…New Billboard/”One Low Price” = Instant classic.

Remora- I must congratulate you in traditional Master Po fashion…And thanks a ton for the laughs.

• Lord of the Accompanied #9

Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 1:55 AM EDT

I really don’t have much to contribute.

• Ron #10

Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 9:41 AM EDT

Talk about an ‘understatement’.

• Punjab #11

Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 10:03 AM EDT

You’re wrong again, Harv. Punjab is the tall one on the far right

• Mariner Tom #12

Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 12:13 PM EDT

You left Harvard out of the yacht club…that is indeed ridiculous. Here he is paddling to the marina.

• Lord of the Accompanied #13

Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 1:28 PM EDT

Geoff was actually slated to be in the Yacht Club photo but had to maintain a commitment to a prior engagement; the important christening of a new boat in the Yacht Club fleet somewhere off the Gouldsboro Peninsula.

Geoff, one of the few members of the Yacht Club to have never spent time in the military, still finds great pride in raising the stars and stripes at the stern of every new vessel. Talk about service to your country…Geoff’s wife, Beatrice, actually hand sews the flags.

• coachv #14

Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 1:53 PM EDT

Geoff is nothing more then a fruity fruit fool.

• Lord of the Accompanied #15

Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 1:56 PM EDT

I forgot to mention that Geoff’s wife is also a huge hardwood fan and has a “Remy Abell!” tattoo near the stern.

• Bobskijo #16

Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 3:50 PM EDT

I just hope that they can plug that porous defense this year. And win a couple more games! Is that asking too much?

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football