Hulls to play in Poland

40 comments by   |   Tuesday, July 2, 2013 - 7:27 pm EDT

Jordan Hulls has found a new basketball home. It’s just 4,557 miles away from the place he’s called home all his life.

The recent Indiana University graduate and Bloomington native confirmed Tuesday that he has signed a contract to play for Energa Czarni Slupsk of the Polish Basketball League. Slupsk, founded in the Middle Ages, is about an hour from the Baltic Sea.

“I haven’t ever been out of Bloomington more than two weeks at a time,” Hulls said by phone Tuesday night. “It will be culture shock for me.”

But on the court, where Hulls averaged 9.7 points and 2.9 assists as a senior for the Hoosiers, the game is expected to be the same.

“Basketball, you can direct people where to go,” he said. “But going out in the city and the language, those will be different things.”

The season in Poland doesn’t begin until October and runs through late May or early June, leaving open the possibility of playing in the NBA summer league.

“There’s still summer league talks, and I can still do that even with signing this deal,” Hulls said.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Oladipo, Zeller named to USA Select Team
IU target Spalding commits to Louisville
Crean putting together vision for guard-oriented team
Spalding enjoying IU, recruiting process
IU, '17 recruits keeping an eye on each other
Podunker
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 - 7:53 PM EDT

Congrats Jordy. I hope it goes well for you in Poland.

Does Jordy have a steady girlfriend? If not, aside from seeing an interesting part of the world, he may have the opportunity to meet some of the most beautiful women on earth. A lot of Americans don’t realize it, but there are a lot of beautiful young women in Poland and neighboring Eastern European countries. And for the most part, they like Americans in that part of the world.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 - 8:09 PM EDT

I thought Hulls went on a basketball trip to China sponsored by a Christian organization…? Guess it was less than two weeks.

I would sign the kid to an NBA contract in a heartbeat…

Watching Jordy choke up on senior night is why Indiana basketball is the envy of the nation..I hope we never get so consumed with being talent-rich(at least in terms of what makes NBA execs salivate)that we pass on the kids with all the intangibles and the hearts of true champions.

Glory, game, guts, and gumption all over his grumpy face.

#3 Tuesday, July 2, 2013 - 8:27 PM EDT

Hulls and Oladipo went to China with Reach USA for exactly two weeks in 2011. He did mention that, and it’s in the subscription story that will be posted at HTO later tonight.

#4 Tuesday, July 2, 2013 - 9:02 PM EDT

Good luck Jordy… You’ll always be one of my favorites. I promise to tell my kid about you and how if you work your ass off you can overcome being trapped in a body. Enjoy Poland, and if you ever want to vacation in Maine let me know… I’ll buy the beers, make sure there’s a boat outing, and get you in a couple decent runs.

powodzenia!

Harvard for Hillbillies
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 - 9:04 PM EDT

Yeah, thanks Jeremy. I thought I remembered a trip to China. After a bit of searching, I actually found the follow-up story…China and Poland. Lucky kid.

120

Jordan Hulls, Victor Oladipo benefitted personally, athletically from trip to China
12 comments by Hugh Kellenberger | Wednesday, June 8, 2011 – 2:44 pm UTC

Jordan Hulls called it a once in a lifetime kind of trip. Victor Oladipo said it was an opportunity he just could not pass up.

The two spent nine days in China earlier this month, playing nine basketball games against various international teams as part of a Reach USA tour of the country.

“Not many people get to go over there, especially to play basketball or go see the Great Wall,” Hulls said.

Reach USA is a Christian-based organization, and part of the trip is based in the idea of evangelism through sports.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 - 9:10 PM EDT

Too bad he wasn’t trapped in Steve Nash’s mini Cooper.

#7 Tuesday, July 2, 2013 - 9:37 PM EDT

Podunker – yes, Hulls has a gf. Her name is Aubrey.

If he wants to play in the league, he needs to improve his defensive game.

Jeremy – I’m hearing from my sources that the Indy Star is courting Dustin to replace Hutch on the IU beat. Can you confirm for Dustin’s fans here?

Harvard for Hillbillies
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 - 9:49 PM EDT

Sorta cool interview…Jordy reflects on his senior season, Tom Crean, and the trip to China.

Dustin needs a gig where he’s on camera..His real gifts are in front of the lens..really good timing and delivery in impromptu settings and has great interview skills as well.

#9 Tuesday, July 2, 2013 - 10:18 PM EDT

Aruss,
In the words of Sgt. Schulz: “I know nothing.” And even if I did, I wouldn’t say.

Punjab
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 - 11:46 PM EDT

My only advice is to enjoy it, Jordy. Being able to live abroad and immerse yourself in another culture is one of the truly rewarding experiences one can have– so long as you approach it the right way. It can be overwhelming if you let it. But if you embrace the change and soak in as much as you can, you’ll see the world in a whole new light. Congrats, my man. Your life has just taken on a whole new adventure. Live it up!

Ron
Wednesday, July 3, 2013 - 7:27 AM EDT

Indy Star. That seems like a good move. Hutch be kind of hard to replace? Now Kravitz. Love to see him go away. Could then buy the paper and still feel ‘clean’.

Hoosier Clarion
Wednesday, July 3, 2013 - 9:19 AM EDT

What has become of Hutch?

#13 Wednesday, July 3, 2013 - 10:27 AM EDT

Hey, not that my pondering s ever start discussion, but I’ll give it another shot… Was thinking about the roster next year and there are a few questions… A few that interest me are:

Who will lead the team in scoring?

Who will (take over Sheehey’s role and) bring energy and scoring off the bench?

Who is going to be the biggest surprise?

I’m not sure these things are very clear at all, whereas going into last year, certainly 1 & 2 were. I think the surprise of last year was that the bench, and freshman in particular, were not as good as we thought.

So I’ll venture a couple guesses and see what you guys have to say:

1) I’ll take Sheehey at somewhere around 14 ppg, but I’m guessing we have Yogi and Vonleh coming in around 12 or 13 as well. Fischer, Williams, Hollowell, and Gordon all have a shot at double-figures as well… And who knows, maybe even Perea will make the IU sophomore jump and challenge that number. Overall I’m guessing we have more balance throughout the roster next year with 8 guys between 7 and 15 points per game.

2) this one is tough for me… My gut tells me Williams. I think he has potential to start, but I think we are looking at 4 definite starting spots (Yogi, Sheehey, Vonleh, Fischer) and then 1 of these 3 – Hollowell, Gordon, and Williams… Since that leaves only a 33% chance in my scenario, I’ll take him as my infusion of energy and athleticism off the bench. He most closely resembles what Crean did with Sheehey – he’s versatile enough to come in and guard multiple positions if someone gets in early foul trouble, and he’ll ignite the crowd with the potential of highlights every time he steps on the floor. (My second choice is Perea)

3) I really think this one is going to be Stan Robinson. He gets the least amount of press of any of the recruits, but I think he may be the most college-ready player of any of them. He basically played a college schedule and lived a college lifestyle at Findley Prep last year. He is used to the travel and the rigors of training. His body is mature and he played with and against great players all season. Wile his stat lines don’t jump off the page at you, he is a glue guy with strength, size, athleticism, and can guard and play 3 positions. He does a little bit of everything offensively and can help on the defensive glass. I just think he’ll be a more steady and solid version of Remy, which will earn him slightly more time, and every once in a while will do something that wows us.

Anyone else want to chime in?

Hoosier Clarion
Wednesday, July 3, 2013 - 10:46 AM EDT

Hollowell starts.

Sheehey

Williams

Gordon/early in the season, Robinson/a little later

Perea is the intangible/wildcard

Hoosier Clarion
Wednesday, July 3, 2013 - 10:52 AM EDT

Wilson and staff have a 7th commit for 2014. Donovan Clark is a cover CB from the South Side Archers of Ft. Wayne.

Jay Gregg
Wednesday, July 3, 2013 - 11:44 AM EDT

Hoosier Clarion,

Terry Hutchens @FoxSportsHutch

I’m happy to announce that I’ve been hired by Fox Sports/Scout to launch the Scout site at Indiana beginning July 21. Great opportunity.
3:08 PM – 2 Jul 2013

#17 Wednesday, July 3, 2013 - 4:36 PM EDT

Jeremy – your comment and Dustin’s silence says more than enough.

When Dustin leaves can I get admin rights to the Scoop? There’s been a lot of turnover since the Scoop launched and the loyal readers would benefit from some continuity not to mention the inside scoops and commentary I’d be able to post here.

#18 Wednesday, July 3, 2013 - 5:53 PM EDT

Holy (Schnikes) … Brad Stevens the new coach of my Celtics!

Oh, how Harvard is going to lose it…

Mariner Tom
Wednesday, July 3, 2013 - 5:57 PM EDT

Geoff you beat me to it by a millimeter.

Oh, the high and mighty Stevens, emblem of all things Indiana, steward of Hoosier basketball culture and tradition, “plays the game the right way,” the should-have-been-IU coach, the would-have-won-3-titles by now…

This is great. I predict he will be as successful as Calipari was in the NBA.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Wednesday, July 3, 2013 - 6:30 PM EDT

I can see Steven’s nerdy choirboy image fitting in perfectly with the anal disciplines of Irish Catholicism and Cousy lucky charms at Boston. It’s actually a perfect fit. He’ll likely become their next Indiana legend.

Husky Tom knows from our days on Basketblog the coach I would have loved take over at Indiana…..the guy on the opposite spectrum of pretentiousness, empty blow, holier-than-thou, anal, villain-chaser.

I always wanted Rick Majerus. He had faith in the game…He truly loved to coach. He carried a quiet spiritual faith. And, most importantly, he was smart and genuine.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Wednesday, July 3, 2013 - 6:31 PM EDT

oops. [Stevens]…no apostrophe.

TsaoTsuG
Wednesday, July 3, 2013 - 6:46 PM EDT

Aruss, did it ever cross your mind that perhaps Dustin would like to play out his hand without you standing behind him and signaling other players the cards in DD’s hand? Most people who have 2oz of brains would avoid discussing their careers in a public forum, giving them some options. But, idiots are different, aren’t they? They’d throw their mama under the bus.

If there is anything redeemable about your gossip and ‘snitching’. Maybe only the fact that you’ve proven long ago that your tidbits are based on nothing, your sources unreliable, your logic irrational and your conclusions consistently wrong (when not made up in the beginning).

You should apologize to Dustin. You have the loyalty of the traitor Snowden. Hopefully, you’ll end up listening to the Hoosiers on a satellite radio while sharing a cot with him at Moscow Airport.

Now, do you understand my disdain for your so called ‘scoops’?

meh girl
Wednesday, July 3, 2013 - 6:48 PM EDT

Next: hopefully Ferris State makes an offer for Clown Crean.

#24 Wednesday, July 3, 2013 - 8:23 PM EDT

Dustin, I apologize. I mistakenly treated you as a public figure like a Bob Woodward or a Glenn Greenwald.

#25 Wednesday, July 3, 2013 - 10:48 PM EDT

Remember a couple days ago when Harvard was asking why we have to bash our opponents and hoosiers on their way out….

Now witness the slight backhands he throws at Stevens.

Sure you wanted Majerus, but half the reason for that was because Brad Stevens didn’t exist then. You said nothing but glowing things about young Bradley up until tonight… When the riches and noteriety of the NBA came calling.

(Harvard… It’s the Celtics. You would have said yes too)

Harvard for Hillbillies
Wednesday, July 3, 2013 - 11:14 PM EDT

Geoff-

Hell yes…It’s a great offer. Doesn’t make me a Celtics fan. Could care less about the Celtics. I grew up a Bulls fan and when/if I watch the NBA(other than the playoffs), it’s to tune into the Bulls.

Majerus was completely off the map when I was saying that I would love him as an IU coach.

TsaoTsuG
Thursday, July 4, 2013 - 3:15 AM EDT

I don’t know Harvard. Majerus had been a known quantity when IU was shopping. Majerus was, amongst basketball coaches, a sage since his days at Ball State. Knight really, really liked him.

I know that (considering that Coach K was not going to leave Duke); my own perception was that there were 3-4 coaches who could handle the IU job and Majerus was definitely one of them. I knew of Carmody when he was at Princeton.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, July 4, 2013 - 5:05 AM EDT

I just meant that Majerus wasn’t being talked about on the various Hoosier blogging sites….There was basically zero buzz around his name during the IU coaching search. I threw his name out there quite a few times on Basketblog during that time period…It was before he took the job at St. Louis.

I had a family member, a brother-in-law, who was a chain smoker that passed away years ago from a horrible inoperable cancerous tumor growing out of the backside his lungs around his spine..He grew up in Muncie, Indiana…He was a graduate of Ball St. and was a hoops junkie..He had lived in Muncie his entire life and attended high school at Muncie Central..He later became a high school teacher and taught biology for many years..He was a huge follower of Indiana hoops….Just loved to follow high school basketball and whenever we would get together it was always guaranteed that the conversation was either politics or Indiana hoops..He was a staunch Republican..I found little agreement with him when it came to politics, but he was still one hell of an interesting and fun man..He really loved rock and roll music…His favorite group? The Stones, of course. He had an album collection like no other…My sister gave me his collection after he passed away. I sure miss him..He was so full of life. I guess he’s why I was always thinking about Rick Majerus..Maybe in some weird way I thought I was giving a shout-out to Majerus for the love and time my brother-in-law always gave to me. Whenever I would come over to my sister’s house, he would always have his signature greeting for me…His first words were always, “Hey handsome” …And then the basketball discussions would commence.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, July 4, 2013 - 5:20 AM EDT

Not very proud of myself tonight…I was heading into work and just before I got to the security gates there was a loose and frantic dog galloping alongside the busy roadway…I thought to myself that I should stop and try to do something for the poor dog that was so confused and helpless. He had part of a tether hanging from his collar as moved quickly against the traffic alongside the road in his lost state. i should have stopped to help that dog.

I had completely forgot about the dog during my work shift…Heading home..after the night was over..only a couple hundred yards from the spot I had passed him when heading into work…there he was…splattered all over the center road..his face looking right at me. I should have stopped. What’s one missed night of a crummy-ass job. I let that poor animal die. Not very proud of myself tonight.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, July 4, 2013 - 5:24 AM EDT

Sorry about that last post…

kenny george
Thursday, July 4, 2013 - 5:37 AM EDT

No Harvard, it was a good post to remind us all that love animals that some things are more important than work. Work will still be there waiting for us. Life will not. Know you learned a lesson. Keep learning and saving.

#32 Thursday, July 4, 2013 - 8:21 AM EDT

That’s a sad post Harvard…. I’m sorry that happened, to you and the dog. I’m sure you found a kinship with that frantic animal that was running against traffic. Hopefully even though we scold you, we still find in our hearts to pick you up and keep you part of our home.

And on that note, I wanted to make sure you don’t side-step the point here Harvard. This isn’t a discussion about Majerus. Tis about Brad Stevens… Head coach of the Boston Celtics. I would never expect you to become a fan because of Stevens… I just think its hilarious that:

A) it happened right under your nose… The coach that signified everything right about college hoops… Who took middling talent and made Chicken a la King with it… A Hoosier who did it with homegrown walk-ons… Split for the riches of the NBA.

And B) you proceeded to do exactly what you were bitching about 2 days ago… Talking S about someone because they beat us or spurned us. All of a sudden now he’s a “nerdy choir boy that will fit in perfect with anal Irish Catholicism…”

Classic.

Hoosier Clarion
Thursday, July 4, 2013 - 8:28 AM EDT

The reason RM was off the map for the IU coach search is obvious, Hoeppner.

If it is all right to ask HS BB prospects as to whether they know the school(IU) courting them has no scholarships available for them and someone will have to lose theirs if they commit then it it certainly more than fair game to discuss DD’s future employment possibilities.

Hoosier Clarion
Thursday, July 4, 2013 - 8:38 AM EDT

Oh and thanks Jay Gregg.

That site lacks/needs leadership badly and will no doubt in time compete with Peegs with Hutch in the harness. FOX clearly recognizes the “Golden Age of IU Athletics”.

Jay Gregg
Thursday, July 4, 2013 - 9:16 AM EDT

Hoosier Clarion, I read somewhere that the next reporter covering IU sports for the Star will reside in Bloomington. I always wondered how Hutchens covered IU from Indianapolis. If Dustin does go to the Star it will be interesting to watch the Star blog which utilizes Facebook. Facebook doesn’t bother me but it appears to drastically alter the entire atmosphere, more civil perhaps less entertaining.

Mariner Tom
Thursday, July 4, 2013 - 10:30 AM EDT

Harvard, sad story indeed….my wife made us stop and help a baby robin that had fallen out of its nest off the road a while ago; I confess I wouldn’t have done it if not for her insistence…

Brad Stevens and his entire aura of being the “perfect Indiana guy” are mostly the fabrications of the minds of petulant, perpetually unsatisfied internet sports trolls who will always, no matter what, see an alternative to the present. Who will be the next anointed “perfect Indiana coach other than Tom Crean?” Dane Fife? How about Marty Simmons? Played for Knight and has led Evansville to the post season 3 out of the last 4 seasons. He must understand something about this mystical state and its great past that guys like Crean just won’t ever get.

Chet
Thursday, July 4, 2013 - 10:59 AM EDT

Harvard, here you go, just to balance the scales. We adopted a one year old pit bull on Saturday from the animal shelter. It called me over and I couldn’t leave her.

Never have any experience with a pit bull before. Her previous owner must have been very good with her as she is the sweetest, most affectionate, gentlest dog I’ve ever had. She immediately took to our other two, an 8-year-old Rhodesian Ridgeback, and an 8-month-old dingo pup (yep, there’s a story in there). She and the dingo have become inseparable.

We took her to ‘Shindig On the Green’, Asheville’s weekly summer free Bluegrass festival the first day we had her as she was being stunningly well behaved. She mingled with thousands with a constantly wagging tail. A couple times other dogs lunged at her snarling and her reaction in each case was to take a step backward and sit down (tail still wagging).

In other words, she’s been great. The ‘pit bull thing’ I’ve even more convinced, is about the owners, not the dog.

So, while one may have slipped away from us this weekend another found a home. Just look big picture on this one. We can’t save them all.

#38 Friday, July 5, 2013 - 5:46 PM EDT

Hey folks, I’ve been on vacation (nowhere exotic, just back home in Pittsburgh/North Huntingdon) and haven’t so much been checking this thing, but just wanted to clear this up. There has been absolutely no contact between myself and the Indianapolis Star. Absolutely none. I won’t say that I would never work for the Star or that there aren’t positions at their paper I would be interested in and I certainly won’t say that I’ll never leave the H-T, but this paper has been far too good to me for me to ever take a position that would be in direct competition with it.

TsaoTsuG
Friday, July 5, 2013 - 6:41 PM EDT

Good that you are back DD. Perhaps, after some refresh time and home cooked meals you can now answer: Is it football yet?

Harvard- re your dog story, damn I hate to hear those…absolutely hate it. Also for balance. Some mnths ago I was out with the grandchildren and every dog they saw they’d run up to the owner with ‘can we pet her?, can we pet him?. I asked their mom, my daughter-in-law if they could have a dog and she was somewhat reluctant.

Then, 2-3 weeks ago they were walking home during the Andersonville Neighborhood Festival (northside) and went by a kiosk for an animal adoption agency. The kid started petting one of the dogs, a very good natured, black and white, half St Bernard/half spaniel (or something like that), all city mutt. The daughter-in-law then started looking at the face of the animal and the animal looking back (have a great, great face to face picture of them staring at each other. The mutt seems to be saying, “are you taking me home lady or am I wasting all this ‘cute dog’ look on you?) and the daughter-in-law melted…’let’s take him home’. Great mutt! Playful, sweet disposition and adores the kids! Acknowledges the family Patriarch. And, the boys are in their glory…couldn’t be better.

Chet was right…maybe it all balances (wonder Who did that Harvard).

Harvard for Hillbillies
Friday, July 5, 2013 - 7:24 PM EDT

I know it’s seems foolish..I just felt that I should have stopped. When I saw the mutilated dog with barely only its face intact staring at my headlights….only yards from where I passed him hours previously in his disoriented and frightened state while I was heading into work…it just felt like I had let a lot more than that poor animal down. He had to have been struck(and struck many times afterward) only minutes after I passed him…

Last year my dog got loose…I was working out in the garage and simply forget about her. We live near a very busy street. I thought she was likely a goner. About two hours passed and I got a phone call…A young couple stopped(it was only 1/4 mile down the road from my house)and picked her up. They said she was very close to the road and feared she would get hit. They did the right thing. I saw my dog in the dead stare that animal I did nothing to help. I should have already had ‘balance.’

Comments