Hoosier Morning (or Afternoon)

7 comments by   |   Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 12:56 pm EDT

1. HOOSIERS HQ
IU running back Tevin Coleman showed a gift for carrying the ball from an early age, “>Dustin writes.

With 10 games still to play, it’s too soon to put defensive coordinator Doug Mallory on the chopping block, Andy writes.

2. IT’S INDIANA
Indiana has questions at QB, and so does the Bowling Green defense, Jack Carle of the Bowling Green Sentinel-Tribune writes.

Mitch Ewald isn’t just the Hoosiers’ kicker, he’s a leader, Sean Morrison of the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette writes.

IU freshman Troy Williams is motivated to follow in the footsteps of NBA draftees Cody Zeller and Victor Oladipo, Pete DiPrimio of the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel writes.

3. THE SCANDAL SCENE
Five former SEC football stars received improper benefits, Rand Getlin and Charles Robinson of Yahoo! Sports write.

Catch up on the investigation into Oklahoma State football with Part I: The Money, Part II: The Academics and Part III: The Drugs, by George Dohrmann and Thayer Evans of SI.com.

4. ONE FOR THE ROAD
Another Mr. Obvious selection today, it’s Scandal with “The Warrior.”

Related content: Read more in Hoosier Morning

Hoosier Morning
Hoosier Morning
Hoosier Morning (p.m. edition)
Hoosier Morning
Hoosier Morning
Podunker
Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 5:07 PM EDT

Andy wrote,”Mallory …… is a good man, a stand-up guy, smart and honest.” That sounds familiar. I recentlywrote something similar.

Andy wrote , “Coaching is a bottom-line business….” That also sounds familiar!

Andy wrote, “And while increased scrutiny is merited, consider me unconvinced by those who automatically assume Doug Mallory is the primary issue with IU’s defense.” He’s not the primary issue, he’s the one primarily responsible. “Success has many fathers, but failure only one.” He’s had three two and a half recruiting seasons to upgrade the talent on defense. Red-shirt freshman, sophomores, juniors, are all old enough and mature enough to know how to tackle and shed blocks. Mallory’s players don’t seem to have learned how to do that very well. How long does it take.

Andy wrote, “Mallory certainly isn’t responsible for the talent level he found here upon his arrival two years ago. The level of athleticism on the defensive side of the ball was stunningly low. There was precious little speed.” You’re absolutely right. He’s not responsible for what was here when he arrived. But he’s responsible for what is here now. He’s had two and a half years to improve that talent and the skills. For awhile last year, we witnessed some improvement (Iowa game). But this year, with all that improved athletic ability, regardless of their age, we’re not seeing that improved talent play at a higher level. In fact, you cold make a strong argument that they have digressed.

I don’t believe it would be wise or appropriate to fire Mallory in mid season, but it would be a good idea for Wilson to start doing some succession planning. I hope Mallory turns it around. I really do. But given how bad his defense played last Saturday, I’m not optimistic he’s going to have the time. And I have increasing doubt that he’s the right guy for the job.

Podunker
Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 5:22 PM EDT

Oh, by the way. Did anyone notice that Grambling State University fired head coach Doug Williams yesterday? Doug Williams, their legendary former quarterback and hero got fired after just two games this season. Grambling lost those two games, but to my knowledge, no one has announced why Williams was fired, so I’m not sure it was due to his team’s performance. But it’s a pretty good bet.

Given what has recently happened at Texas (they fired the DC) and Grambling (the head coach), it’s not unheard of that some football programs have little patience for bad performance and are not afraid to fire coaches whose players are not performing up to expectations. Maybe the real problem is a school’s level of expectations?

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 5:26 PM EDT

I don’t believe any journalist really “hopes” for anything regarding teams they’re supposed to objectively cover. Hope indicates you’ve become emotionally invested. Journalists should separate that hope out of the equation when covering the sports of the hometown university.

The only thing they “hope” for is sensationalism and the “hope” to stir more controversy in the “hope” of selling more papers in the “hope” of retaining their own job they’ve long grown too comfortable in.

Mallory can only “hope” they eat their words. We can only “hope” Andy strives to keep his objections tempered and stop with the manufactured investment the typical fan.

Andy’s adherence to strong negative tone in the last Live Discussion(during the Navy game) and the followup ScoopTalk that nearly left Dustin and Mike Miller speechless because of what appeared to be an ax to grind form of criticism following one early season loss to a very good Navy team seems like desperation from a guy tired of sitting behind Dustin.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 5:41 PM EDT

No, the “real problem” is the quick-fix society we live in today. Most can’t even sit through a 2-hour movie without flipping through 273 more channels in another night of obsessively fondling a remote control like a baby blanket.

And because nothing of quality has ever been on the Hoosier football station, we quickly assume it’s just change the channel time again.

We have no patience for anything. For once we have the beginnings a decent storyline and plot for this Hoosier football movie. But the time to watch the characters develop and love story take root? Nah…Let’s just flip over Howard Stern on America’s Got Talent because we all know talent is born and seen from only the eye of the fast sensational almighty buck.

Podunker
Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 9:24 PM EDT

Harvard, you’re exactly right. It is a quick fix society. And that’s the point. Given people’s impatience and their demand that problems be fixed quickly, if you don’t fix what is perceived to be a problem, you and your organization gets left behind. I hope it does not happen (really, I want Mallory to be successful, it’s just that he has not been), but if IU fires Mallory after this year, I won’t consider that to be “a quick fix.” Three years, in today’s world of competitive sports, is a long time. A lot of other football coaches have had far less time.

But here’re my questions. How much time is too little time and how much time is too long? What criteria do you use to decide when a coach needs to be fired? Is it one of those things that can’t be defined, but you know it when you see it? People express disagreement when I suggest that it might be necessary to fire Mallory after this season unless IU’s defense improves, but other than HC’s vague “4 or 5 years” comment, no one offers an opinion as to when enough is enough. No one offers any suggestions as to the criteria that should be used to make that determination.

Years ago I was hired in an Senior Executive position with a mid size, publicly traded corporation. I reported to the company’s CEO. The first day on the job he sat me down and said, “Your honeymoon lasts through September. Given that our fiscal year starts October 1, you must achieve all the objectives the Board and I have set for next year. If you don’t, you will be terminated. It’s real straight-forward. I want you to succeed and I will help you in any way I can, but if you don’t achieve these goals, it will be a short ride.” That company, which was 12 years old the day I started, had never made any of its performance goals in its entire history. Not once! It’s stock price was in the toilet. But all of a sudden, I was responsible for fixing many of the problems and making it successful. The CEO noticed the concerned look on my face and said, “hey, that’s what we’re paying you to do. You either do it or we’ll find someone who can. Our stockholders deserve nothing less.” And yes, I kept that job for five years until I got recruited away to a better job. But it was the exact same story at that next job. That’s the real world and the higher you ascend, the more demanding it becomes. So, from my perspective, three years is plenty of time.

Harvard for Hillbillies
Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 10:42 PM EDT

Confess that I’ve stopped short of reading your entire post..Just want to give a brief answer to your opening statements.

When you’re talking IU football and its historical stagnation, I’m honestly not equipped to give you a timetable to fire a coach hand selected by our new head coach.

I always thought the buck stops at the top. If Wilson, being the man we have chosen to guide this challenge of all challenges to bring IU football back from the grave in an extremely competitive conference, is satisfied with his top assistant, then I’m not sure if questioning that judgment is going to help IU football.

To indict his top assistant coach, a very experienced coach with a pretty damn decent resume that helped guide a team to BCS title, seems like a less controversial way of going after the judgment and leadership of the man we picked in hopes a new beginning for IU football.

I’m not sure if Mallory has anything approaching the level of depth and defensive talent he had coming into his other jobs. Given the comparative history, how do you compare what it takes in terms of time to get Indiana football looking like an LSU or Oklahoma State defense?

And if Mallory was a bad choice, why are we so convinced Wilson can make a better choice the second time around?

I’m not the expert here. Our trust and hopes in getting this thing turned around reside in the vision and decisions of coach Wilson. I think we gain nothing by questioning and placing heavy doubt upon his selections and right hand defensive man(especially to the degree of questions on termination). We can be discontent with the progress, but remain on board that Wilson is the best judge of coaching as it applies to talent jumping at the opportunity to play in Bloomington in year three.

By season’s end, Wilson will be the ultimate judge of his team and the coaches he initially believed were the right men for the job.

Hoosier Clarion
Friday, September 13, 2013 - 8:59 AM EDT

VAGUE? Apparently my stated 4-5 years never was thought through by brain matter after I posted. Figuring out 4-5 is tough duty. By the way Coach Inge was brought on this year as co-defensive coordinator and since the defense has regressed in year 3 as all the chest pounding narcissists declare on here, that would be on his watch also so hell let’s just fire his ass too. If getting rid of 1 is good for the program 2 has to be even greater for the future.

Comments

• Varsity Club. Student-Athlete Spotlight: Audra Heilman, Field Hockey - Recently the Indiana University Varsity Club had the opportunity to speak with Audra Heilman, a senior on the IU field hockey team. Heilman discussed how important her scholarship
  • Varsity Club. Compliance Corner: Student-Athlete Eligibility - Have you ever wondered about the academic standards for an Indiana University student-athlete in order to stay academically eligible throughout their collegiate
  • Milton updates his recruitment - Indiana has been paying very close attention to Shake Milton throughout the recruiting process. See what the 2015 guard has to say
  • Maryland eyeing Midway DT - Chicago (Ill.) Al Raby three-star defensive tackle Jamal Milan hopes to take several official visits in the fall. Will the Terps get
  • Report: Indiana offers 2015 guard Matt McQuaid -

After his recent decision to re-open his recruitment, Indiana has jumped into the mix for class of 2015 Duncanville (Tex.) guard Matt McQuaid. The 6-foot-5 guard, who had been

• Brunk recruitment becoming a Big Ten affair -

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — As the summer moves along, the recruitment of class of 2016 Southport center Joey Brunk continues to add new suitors. The 6-foot-9 big man added an

• De'Ron Davis updates recruitment - 2016 forward De'Ron Davis talked to AllHoosiers.com on Thursday to update his recruitment. He's hearing from a few new schools. Find out who they
  • Indiana offers SMU decommit McQuaid - Tom Crean offered Matt McQuaid a scholarship on Wednesday in
  • The Thursday Thinker