Hoosier Morning (p.m. edition)

1. HOOSIERS HQ
No NIT selection means the Indiana basketball season is over, Dustin wrote.

IU baseball dropped the rubber match of a weekend series to Long Beach State, we reported.

2. IT’S INDIANA
IU basketball should be better than missing the postseason, and it can’t happen again, Pete DiPrimio of the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel writes.

Victor Oladipo is growing his game at both guard positions, with advice from Dwyane Wade, John Denton of NBA.com writes.

A timeline looking at how the 2013-14 team came to be and the path it took to nowhere, from Alex McCarthy at Inside Indiana.

Noah Vonleh faces a decision on his future soon, Zach Osterman of the Indianapolis Star writes.

Is mediocrity the new normal for Indiana basketball, asks Kent Sterling at kentsterling.com.

3. BIG TEN COUNTRY
Picked last in the Big Ten, Nebraska and coach Tim Miles have the last laugh, Nancy Armour of USA Today writes.

Minnesota missed out on the NCAA, but was given a No. 1 seed for the NIT as consolation, Amelia Rayno of the Minneapolis Star Tribune writes.

Illinois sees the NIT as opportunity, even though the Illini will have to go on the road, Marcus Jackson of the Champaign/Urbana News-Gazette writes.

4. ONE FOR THE ROAD
The end of the season and the “End of the Line” by the Traveling Wilburys.

• Double Down says:

I’ve been sitting back and taking in Scoopocalypse. I didn’t really care about the NIT, after the Big Ten exit, it was over for me. Crean’s 2 or 3rd year team would have gotten me interested in watching the NIT, but not this year. Not a year after being a #1 seed and pulling in a top 3 class. No significant injuries. So, because I didn’t care about the NIT, I’ve truly enjoyed reading the conniptions that have been memorialized around here.

Pretty terrible season. This one felt worse than the first 3 seasons of Operation Rebuild after the Great Texting Scandal. Although we had some truly nice wins, the lows were just puzzling. Even the guy who designed the ancient pyramids would have to give up his throne to the ’13-14 Hoosiers for World’s Greatest Enigma.

There have been some truly elaborate theories as to what happened this year: secret societies, East Coast basketball infiltration and subterfuge to destroy Indiana basketball from the inside out, mass transfer rumors, and selfish NBA-hungry 18 year olds who should be eating cafeteria food at Briscoe for another 2 years and not get a few million to take care of their careers, families and friends. With all of this, I’m surprised we even managed to win 17 games.

I’m a strong believer in Occam’s Razor. If you have competing hypotheses of what “may” or “likely” or “could be/have” it benefits you to look for the simplest answer. Or, at least the one with the fewest assumptions.

Two key stats if you want to compare last year versus this year.

13-14
    Turnovers: 482 (339th)
    Opp Turnovers: 393 (173rd)
    Diff: -89

3-Pt%: 34.4% (175th)
    3-Pt Attempts: 512 (263rd)
    3Pts Made: 176 (246th)

12-13
    Turnovers: 468 (267th)
    Opp Turnovers: 509 (45th)
    Diff: +41

3-Pt%: 40.3% (4th)
    3-Pt Attempts: 637 (108th)
    3Pts Made: 257 (38th)

Tom Crean’s two teams aren’t exactly known for their diligence with the basketball. This year was especially egregious, but it really wasn’t much worse that last year. The difference in this year’s team and last years was the fact that our defense was so much better last year. In particular, the biggest loss of Vic to the NBA last year was more on defense than offense.

Also, in what isn’t a news flash to everyone, the fact that our perimeter shooting was so much worse, it made the turnover differential even worse. Simple, last year we created turnovers and could get out in transition and play our style. Our transition offense was in a much better position because not only did opposing defenses need to get back, they had to get back in wider space as guys like Hulls, Watford and Vic could hit three’s in transition. Plus, our shooting overall was able to make up for games where we got careless with the ball.

We just had a team that wasn’t very good in two very critical areas. This is also why I think that Indiana will be better next year even with Vonleh headed to the NBA. But I don’t make predictions, so who really knows.

I don’t have much to add to the conspiracy theories, though. I’m not smart or courageous enough to see what is lurking in the shadows and speaking truth to power. I’ll just look forward to next year when we have a couple of kids that can hit that outside shot and hopefully some seasoned players returning that focus on getting more takeaways in the offseason. Make them go catch chickens like Rocky or something.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

You could have three Oladipo’s on Crean’s teams from 2011-12 and 2012-13, and it wouldn’t have taken him to a Sweet 16.

The difference was Zeller. Without Zeller there is no resume for Crean. The last two seasons would have been disasters and this would have been his final season. There would be no Blackmon in the mix.

It’s too late for Blackmon to change his mind and go with his first love(UK)..But now that Vonleh is likely leaving and there is no Luke Fischer, Blackmon has to be wondering just what the hell he was thinking. I doubt he’ll make much difference with no legit inside game. With no real inside threat, the perimeter game cannot flourish as it did with Zeller in the middle. Watford’s versatility also opened up the perimeter. It’s not just about having “shooters.” You’re always going to struggle unless you have maturity and some legit inside presence.

Throw away all the conspiracies and you’re still left with a mediocre coach that hasn’t proven he can get more out of a team than the sum of its NBA parts.

Maybe Crean can go find another Guy-Marc Michel.

Calipari…? Still think he’s not a very good coach? UK gave Florida all they could handle in their conference championship game. It appears Calipari has his talented roster playing unselfishly and motivated beyond just having a group of players with individualistic desires to showcase their own talent. Their coming home party is a trip to the Final Four.

Watch out for NC State….Much like Virginia, another very well-coached team with a super point guard and a beast inside.

• Double Down says:

Yes, I’m on record: John Calipari is a very overrated coach.

Never thought I’d see the day of a man who lives and dies by the history of Hoosier Hoops defending Coach Cal. He’s the very definition of the slimy East Coast Establishment-type of guy that you’ve been complaining about that’s ruining college basketball.

Me thinks there is another agenda. 😉

• Punjab says:

I guess it’s better to perform admirably in a weak conference than to underperform in a strong one. But the SEC has three teams in the Dance, and Kenucky didn’t even play the other one en route to the Finals. I think Florida is a strong team, but they’ve been flirting with losses for a while now. I’d hold off on the Calipari praise for just a little while. Do I think UK has talent to make a deep run? Yes, and it wouldn’t shock me if they upset the untested Shockers, either. But they’re just as likely to lose in rd 1. (incidentally, Ky was not Blackmon’s first love, Harv. You may have heard of the team he decommitted from before he decommitted from UK..)

DD, excellent post, but I don’t think those numbers tell the full story. I dint realize the difference between 4th and 175th was under 6%– or roughly 1 missed 3-pointer for every 17 attempts– but then I never really thought about it that much. I think the more important discrepancy is the amount of attempts. We were obviously a lot more confident chucking it up last year, as evidenced by the number of open looks we passed up this year. (Although some if that is very likely attributable to our depreciated transition game, as well.)

More important than the numbers, though, were when they happened. Turnovers came in bunches, and they often cancelled out big leads we had built. Even still, we were right in the majority of our losses until the last minute. When we had chances to tie or take the lead late, we usually missed or turned it over. Then, when we needed a stop, we not only didn’t get a turnover– but we missed an assignment or didn’t switch or didn’t have the right personnel or any number of things, and let them drain the big shot. So many misfires at crucial junctures. If we make a play here and a play there– maybe convert only half of those offensive/defensive opportunities– we have a whole different outlook on the season and our program in general. And we’re still playing. But we didn’t. And we aren’t. You can’t play winning basketball without making winning plays.

• TJ in Texas says:

DD I surely appreciate the diligence it took to assemble those numbers.H4H i agree with your “assumption” that we wont be any better next year.I offer this for thought,Yogi has been with Crean 2 years and last summer played on USA team in world university games.Hi shooting improved thru individusl work BUT his floor leadership and direction you would expect from a 2nd year PG wasnt there.Take away Sheehey and what senior WITH any sort of playing time can HELP Yogi next year.You have a PG that will have very little help from senior-class leadership.without a frontcourt( even with a front court) Crean has shown the only offense he can “teach” is the “stand and watch”type.He didnt work the offense thru the Middle against Zones last yr or this ( Cue in Syracuse both years) IF next year starts off like this…how long do you give him because keeping him to the end will generate emotions much worse than what have flooded blogosphere…..and impact recruits….both already here and those contemplating to attend IU

• RonB says:

I can’t believe this was you HH in post #2 after all the bad things u have said about this cheater. Tell me it was not you?
    As for his Coaching ability Calicheater has 3 coaching records that no one has done but him:
    1. Losing all the games that UMASS had on it’s final 4 team for Cheating
    2. Losing all the games on his Memphis final for team for Cheating
    3. He his latest record is Coaching the only team in history that started out #1 and fell from the top 25. Even after going to the final game of a weak SEC tourney he is still not ranked in the AP poll. The USA poll put KY back in the top 25 but too late he had already made history.
    Florida beat his 7 McDonald All Americans 3 times this year with a senior team. A team someone like you who thinks kids should stay in school and hang banners. Please tell me you have not lost every bit of integrity by backing this Cheater? Last year he had a top ranked recruiting team also and did not make the NCAA Tourney and lost the 1st game of the NIT at home. SMU should be in the tourney ahead of this Cheater and his one and done team.
    Remember when everyone was saying this KY team would be the 1st undefeated team since the IU 1976 team including Cal? He lost his 1st game on Nov.12th on his way to 10 loses. That is only 5 less than IU! He is the worst role model for young players in this Country and you have said that yourself. Did u drink the blue koolaid? Those comments are not from the HH I know. They belong on KY’s blog site.
    You have really lost it this time. I know IU had a bad season but praising a guy who cheats does not belong on an IU Blog. I don’t care how many games he wins because the NCAA will take team away one day and the KY fans will not be happy if he loses the 1st game of a tourney this year with his 7 or 8 McDonald’s All Americans. The are way more fickle than IU fans. Just look at all the great Coaches they have since packing.

• RonB says:

Sorry for the sloppy spelling and miss typed words. I was in shock.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

No agenda at all…And I simply don’t see why people have a problem with 2 or 3 one-and-done’s as opposed to having a singular one-and-done(Isiah Thomas, Eric Gordon, Noah Vonleh?) or a two-and-done(Zeller).

I truly believe there’s a ton of jealousy aimed at Calipari. It has nothing to do with the rivalry. Whether the man cheats to extremes is up for debate. And I doubt his level of cheating would turn my stomach anymore than a coach that pushes loyal Hoosiers off the squad, makes scholly crunches into the norm, while constantly trying to find his next resume boost/savior recruit/NBA diamond in the rough.

Simply because something doesn’t technically break an NCAA rule, doesn’t necessarily mean actions of low character and disloyalty aren’t corrupting the culture and bringing down trust in a basketball program.

I’m am more of an Indiana fan for not supporting throwing kids under the bus simply to achieve greater odds for a coach that never has just the exact pieces of the puzzle to get the job done.

I want to play Kentucky and I want to beat Kentucky. I believe the fans never should have been denied a rivalry that has existed for 40 years. I want a coach and AD not intimidated by their super-talented rosters or the Calipari methods. I want a coach that can prove Indiana can bring enough talent, grit, and understanding/awareness to take them down no differently than the many that already proved it possible this season.

It’s the non-Indiana fans that sit like Pollyanna in her virgin dress and whine of all the horrors at the neighbor’s house. But why would I expect anything different. Once you get the Christian Right running your university, it’s the rest of world that’s indecent and full of filthy practices. You keep buying that while we see thugs with connections to celebs and our sports programs beat up kids on porches…Or we witness Crean not granting Roth his final year of eligibility…or we watch him shoving off a loyal Hoosier he thought had a career-ending injury…or are jaws drop in witnessing old Sampson witch hunts turn to instant indifference a current pinch while he permits a backup center back on the roster(while Noah protected his NBA status) only two weeks after a DUI charge.

Indiana can do better. We can stop with the protecting of Crean’s friend in Kentucky. If anything is seedy in UK, it gets brought more to the forefront while playing the opposing shining light of college basketball known as Indiana University. We can treat Hoosiers as always Hoosiers rather than push them off the team or not grant their eligibility when some last minute deal makes us decide they’re no longer part of our family.

Lastly, I think the immaturity of our team, their inability to grow up into a cohesive unit, is a reflection of the immaturity and lack of direction from their man in charge. There’s a lot of young teams that grow up very quickly. These are Division 1 basketball players that come out of top high schools and academies. They almost appear digress in basketball maturity when they get under the tutelage of a man more a pouting child that can’t be accountable for anything.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

NEWS RELEASE: Assembly to be renamed Pillsbury Hall….in recognition of the nation’s 2nd largest turnover production site under one roof. ‘Mr. T Dough Boy’ mascot in candy stripes giving a cuddly ‘Mr. Makes the Dough’ coach, Tom Crean, halfcourt pregame hugs coming soon. Milk will be served by the half-Glass full with Big Red cherry-filled flaky pastry turnover treats. There will also be mini turnover bites version to be sold in Sweet 16 quantity cups with ample sugary glaze for your ‘Ola-dipping’ sauce.

• iulongago says:

Isiah Thomas stayed 2 years. I also agree with Harvard more than I disagree.

• JustJoe says:

Dustin & Jeremy:
    How about a post-season quiz for you guys with access to all those data-bases:
    Question: how many colleges have a $3MM coach and didn’t get ANY post-season invites?
    Answer:
    A). one
    B). More than one

Tie-breaker…just in case the answer could POSSIBLY be (B): how many coaches made $3MM…plus had back- to- back “Top 10” recruiting classes……AND didn’t make it to ANY post season games this year????

Hah!!

• Ernie Pyle says:

This would have the added benefit that Putin would quickly invade and annex KY.

• RonB says:

HH you are such a phony. You have complained about how KY Cal does things for years and now because you can’t stand Crean and I don’t think it is his Basketball Coaching that u dislike. You have made that clear on more than one occasion. Everyone knows you and your righteous comments about KY’s whole team leaving every year and how Cody and other kids should have stayed for the greater good of a banner and now you change your whole attitude about him and the one and done rules just to serve your agenda to hammer IU’s Coach who has a bad season. If KY Cal did not cheat he would not have ever gotten to KY in the 1st place. His players would not be driving new SUV’s from local auto dealers in Lexington and yes I know that is a fact. KY has more NCAA violations than any other Basketball program in history so he fits well there. He also never sees any of his stars get a degree and he takes and gives to get the best players like you are saying Crean does. He over signs every year all the way back to UMASS before it was the thing to do and you have Zero proof that Coach Crean ran anybody off. Now Bob knight did that as a regular practice. You talk about others being phony u are the biggest ever. I was one of the few here that tried to defend some of your crazy comments because I was a Coach for 45+ years building up kids to play basketball in the purest way like you always talk about and now you want to change and comment about how great a Coach Cal is. I now have zero respect for anything you say. Pissing backwards is not right and you know it!!!
    I am not sure you even grew up in Indiana and for sure you have never grown as a person! Always bending the truth to fit your agenda. No agenda my ***. You are the worst kind of ex-IU fan. Nothing will ever make you a happy camper and I am done with you. So say what u want but do not think I will dishonor myself by responding to u ever again. Do us all a favor and don’t go away mad just go away.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

Jeremy-

Why won’t my post go through?

• Unofficial Meteorologist (aka Ben) says:

Listen to this song Harvard. Might do you some good.

Don’t go away mad. Just go away!

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

I break so many hearts here…It’s a game, people. Basketball is a game. Chill.

(Maybe Jeremy will let this revamped/condensed version go through):

Hate on Calipari all you want…Fact remains that his prima donnas are playing like a collective unit and with unselfish heart. They may not win it all, but they appear to sure as hell be trying. How is that damaging to the game? And if a coach can get that much young talent to come together with more purpose than staring in the mirror of their own draft night stock, then I have to believe Calipari is teaching something of grit and humble respect for the game we often fail to see in our own beloved Hoosiers.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

I prefer Tom Crean’s favorite “see you next year” tune….

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

And if Kentucky is the rat and we embody all that is good and innocent of the eternal young spirit that shall never die from Hoosier basketball(picture JPat and Ben experiencing a cozy pancakes in bed breakfast moment before tuning into a Sunday @ noon March Madness game featuring Calipari’s UK vs. Bruce Weber’s Kansas State)….then I go back to this old favorite.

Ben, have you changed your name again?

• Unofficial Meteorologist says:

Yes Harvard. I guess Price couldn’t contain himself.

• Harvard for Hillbillies says:

Wow…I guessed correctly. Thanks for the truthful disclosure, Jeremy.

Ben-

You need help. I thought you were going to stop attacking me under the guise of new names…?

• Unofficial Meteorologist says:

If that’s an attack, then ok. It was meant to be a joke, but I guess everyone carries a serious face around here. I was actually going to compliment you on your posts. They are much much better, and can tell you have been trying. Good job.

Until the Scoop gets a log-in procedure, Price leaves, or Price stops being pig headed, I can really post to any name I want. However, if I need help, email Jeremy and have him ban me, or call the Alabama “happy wagon”. You decide.

• Unofficial Meteorologist says:

In dedication of me needing “help”, I dedicate this song to Harvard. Might have heard this on Chicago Radio ” The Loop” back in the day?

• Hoosier Clarion says:

…22 posts, 8 H4H…

• ron says:

8 out of 22….Is what…..2nd half accuracy in which game?

• TsaoTsuG says:

Unofficial Meteorologist, back in the day I sued to listen to a great Rythm and Blues radio station (which boasted of its huge tower reaching all the way to Indianapolis) in a program late at night sponsored by Randy’s Record Shop in Galatin, Tennessee where the station was located. Had to sneak it because my parents thought anything beyond Bing Crosby and Benny Goodman was simply decadent and a precursor to the collapse of society.

Comments are closed.

Merchandise

Who will be IU's starting quarterback this fall?

Indiana football spring game 2016

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

...[a] Crean prototype [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

Like all Crean "finds"(other than Wade)......Nothing of savvy basketba [...]

• Rico Chet:

Exactly what RAM said. Good luck Troy. I thought this would be the log [...]

• RAM:

Good luck Troy. If you can learn that every play you make does not hav [...]

• Hoosier Hopeful: