Former Indiana assistant basketball coach Jeff Meyer has issued a statement through his attorney this afternoon saying that the NCAA has informed him that it will not punish him.
Here is the entire statement:
â€œIn follow-up to the recent Indiana University Committee on Infractions hearing, I have received a letter from the Committee notifying me that the Committee has determined that I committed no major NCAA violations at Indiana and that the Committee will not impose penalties against me.
I want to thank the Committee for its quick and fair response regarding my involvement in this case. I appreciate the time and effort the Committee members invested in this process.
In my nearly 30 years of coaching college basketball, I have always tried to do my work well and to do good work within the NCAA rules. This very public investigation called into question in a matter of months my professional credibility and personal integrity, and it has been a very costly and humiliating experience for me and my family. As I have done from day one, I acknowledge making unintentional, isolated mistakes, which the Committee found to be secondary in nature. I take personal responsibility for my independent actions. If I have an opportunity to continue my coaching career, I will be better prepared to mentor Student Athletes and to work with a compliance staff as a result of the lessons I learned from this painful experience.
Although the Committee granted me permission to publicly disclose the nature of its findings regarding my involvement in this case, the Committee requested that I refrain from additional comments prior to the release of the Committeeâ€™s full report at a later date. Therefore, I can not discuss this matter any further at this time.â€
6 P.M. UPDATE: I just spoke with Edward Wright-Baker and his high school coach about Wright-Baker’s decision to play football at Indiana.
Wright-Baker said he picked IU because he felt comfortable on campus here and developed a good relationship with assistant coaches Billy Lynch and Dennis Springer, who recruited him.
“I was real close with the coaches,” he said. “They recruited me the hardest.”
IU offered him a scholarship in December, he said, while Purdue offered him one just last week. As was the situation in high school for Antwaan Randle-El and Kellen Lewis, Wright-Baker has had some schools who’ve wanted him to play positions other than quarterback, but he has limited his consideration to those who will allow him to stay behind center.
“You hate to compare him to Kellen Lewis, but he’s a kid who can run and throw,” Jeffersonville coach Steve Cooley said. “He’s 6-2 and 200 pounds with a strong arm. His strength is being an athletic kid who can run and throw the ball.”
Cooley said Wright-Baker is also a good student who had a 3.6 GPA last semester.
Dual-threat quarterback Edward Wright-Baker is Indiana’s first 2009 football recruit.
Wright-Baker, who also had scholarship offers from Purdue, Michigan State and Louisville, gave the Hoosiers a verbal commitment Friday.
The 6-foot-2, 200-pounder threw for more than 1,500 yards and rushed for more than 1,100 last season in leading Jeffersonville to a 10-3 record.
We will update this story later this evening.
On the one-year anniversary of his death, Terry Hoeppner was honored Thursday in Shreveport, La. The former IU football coach was inducted into the Independence Bowl Hall of Honor, a distinction given to players or coaches from previous Independence Bowls who have exemplified positive achievements on and off the field. Hoeppner coached Miami of Ohio in a 17-13 loss to Iowa State in the 2004 bowl game.
His wife, Jane, accepted the honor, on his behalf in a ceremony Thursday night. She told the Shreveport Times that for months she hadnâ€™t been sure of how sheâ€™d handle June 19, so she considered the unexpected invitation to Shreveport a gift.
â€œAll I could think was, â€˜Thank you, Lord,â€™â€ she said. â€œI canâ€™t think of a better thing to do on that day.â€
COMCAST, BIG TEN NETWORK REACH BROAD MULTIMEDIA AGREEMENT
FOR BIG TEN NETWORK CONTENT
Philadelphia and Chicago — June 19, 2008 â€“ Comcast Corporation and the Big Ten
Network announced today that they have reached a long-term multimedia agreement for
Comcast to carry Big Ten Network programming across television, broadband and
video-on-demand in time for the 2008 college football season.
Under the terms of the agreement, Comcast will initially launch the network as part of its
expanded basic level of service to promote it to the majority of its customers residing in
states with Big Ten universities (Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin,
and Pennsylvania, with the exception of the Philadelphia region which will launch on a
broadly distributed digital level of service) starting August 15th. (Comcast does not have
systems in Iowa, the eighth Big Ten state.) In Spring 2009, Comcast may elect to move
the network to a broadly distributed digital level of service in most of its systems in these
states. Comcastâ€™s digital customers in the Big Ten states will also have immediate access
to live Big Ten games and events in high definition, Big Ten programming via Comcastâ€™s
video-on-demand platform, and a wide array of conference-related content through
Read the rest of this post »
3 p.m. update: We’ve learned that IU expects the replacement of the field, which is to cost about $410,000, to be covered either by FEMA funds or the university’s insurance. That information comes from H-T reporter James Boyd who spoke this afternoon with IU Vice President and Chief Administration Officer Terry Clapacs in South Bend where the university’s trustees are meeting today.
11:30 a.m. update: IU has posted a brief statement on its athletics Web site saying that “the athletic department and the university are currently in negotiations to replace the existing turf with a state-of-the-art playing surface that will be installed and ready to use by the first week of August.”
That timetable would have the field ready for the Drum and Bugle Corps event that’s scheduled to draw thousands to Bloomington in early August.
Workers have begun tearing up the field at Indiana’s Memorial Stadium this morning, making it apparent that the field will be replaced.
Using a backhoe, three workers from Crider and Crider construction peeled off a one-inch layer of green grass-like fibers and rubber pellets, revealing a gravel surface below it. The turf was placed in large red dumpsters.
The field was damaged during the recent flooding in the Bloomington area, but IU officials said as recently as yesterday that no updates were available on the university’s plans to repair or replace the Astroplay turf field, which was installed in 2003 at a cost of about $450,000.
The damage centered around a manhole cover under the field in the south end zone, where the field surface sunk about a foot. Ripples in the field surface emanating from the area of the manhole cover ran past the 30-yard line, rendering a large portion of the field unusable.
No information was immediately available Thursday about the cost or timetable for the repairs. Athletic director Rick Greenspan said two weeks ago that he thought the repairs could cost $750,000 to $1,000,000, but that was before a detailed assessment of damage had been completed. IU athletics spokesman J.D. Campbell said this morning that the university will issue a formal announcement about the field in the next day or two.
We will update this story as we gather further information.
Indiana athletic department officials are still trying to decide what should be done to the field at Memorial Stadium, which was damaged during recent flooding. A hole under the south end zone damaged the artificial turf, which will either need extensive repairs or to be replaced.
Spokesman J.D. Campbell said Wednesday that there was no update on the process, which must be completed on a tight timetable.
IU has told Drum Corps International that it still hopes to accommodate the groupâ€™s World Championship event scheduled for Aug. 7.
Indiana basketball head coach Tom Crean is still working to complete his assistant coaching staff. One spot remains open.
Indiana came close to hiring Dave Pendergraft, who was fired as the Seattle SuperSonics director of basketball operations last summer. Pendergraft, who is highly respected for his scouting abilities, worked with the NBA on draft preparation this year and would have joined to Hoosiers following the completion of those duties.
But it appears as though Pendergraft may get a chance to work in the NBA again. The general manager he worked for in Seattle, Rick Sund, has taken the same job in Atlanta and may bring members of his former staff with him, according to the Seattle Times.