A couple bits of news from today’s Indiana football practice:
1. Bill Lynch said he’s looking at the start of the Big Ten season as the deadline for making decisions about redshirting players. With receivers Demarlo Belcher and Tandon Doss already playing as true freshmen, others who appear to have a chance to play – depending on injuries – are offensive linemen Will Matte and Justin Pagan, and running back Darius Willis, Lynch said. The Hoosier coach said he didn’t expect any true freshmen to play on defense.
As we’ve reported, Tom Crean is visiting Alabama wing Christian Watford today.
As the Facebook
stalkers connoisseurs at Inside The Hall have reported, Watford changed his status Monday night to “WORLDâ€¦STAY TUNED 4 TOMORROW!!!!!!”
This means either he’s planning on telling Crean he’d like to play at Indiana or there’s a gigantic meteor headed our way that only Christian Watford knows about. Either way, it’s exhilarating.
Dan Wetzel, Yahoo’s fine columnist, has written a story about Don Haskins that made me, quite frankly, a little misty-eyed.
Haskins was the coach at Texas Western who decided to start five black players in the national title game — in 1966.
Wetzel co-authored a book about it, and it later inspired the movie “Glory Road.”
Tom Crean said he hopes they keep the roof closed.
Meant to post this earlier but it slipped my mind. Hopefully, you can still get tickets. There are only 40,000 of them available.
INDIANAPOLIS (Sept. 7, 2008) â€“ Tickets for The Hartford Hall of Fame Showcase will go on-sale to the general public beginning at noon ET on Monday, Sept. 8. On Dec. 6, Indiana will face Gonzaga at 1:30 p.m. and Notre Dame will take on Ohio State at 4 p.m. in the first basketball event in Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. Tickets are price from $250 courtside to $15 in upper sections and will be available at the Lucas Oil Stadium box office, all Ticketmaster locations, Ticketmaster.com, or by calling 317.239.5151. Each school has also been an allotment of tickets to sell to its respective fans, students and alumni.
- WHAT: Public ticket sales for The Hartford Hall of Fame Showcase on Dec. 6 at Lucas Oil Stadium (Indiana vs. Gonzaga / Notre Dame vs. Ohio State)
- WHEN: Ticket sales begin on Monday, Sept. 8 at noon ET
- WHERE: Lucas Oil Stadium box office, all Ticketmaster locations, Ticketmaster.com,
- or by calling 317.239.5151
- PRICING: Tickets are priced at $250, $125, $75, $50, $25, $15
Ernest Watford saw the way his son, Christian, has been wooed by major college basketball programs all summer.
Ernest was there at Indianaâ€™s elite camp in late August to hear the Hoosiersâ€™ coaching gush about how much his son, a smooth 6-foot-7 wing, would bring to the program. He had the chance to talk to Isaih Thomas and D.J. White â€œat length about all things Indiana basketball.â€
Yet Ernest was not convinced that Indiana and its new coach would be right for his son.
So he called around.
â€œI wonâ€™t say who,â€ he said on Monday. â€œJust people who knew coach Crean before he was at Indiana. Parents who dealt with him, some other coaches. People whoâ€™d know.â€